Sunday, August 28, 2011

LinkedIn sending LinkedIn Network Updates email spam despite turning off all email settings

Are you still receiving "LinkedIn Network Updates" spam emails despite having turned off all the relevant email settings?  I certainly am and it looks like I am not alone.  And yes, it's been in this state for while now.

Personally, I think it's some kind of LinkedIn scam to get you to use their service by annoying you with emails that just happen to slip through their mail out system.

Just today, I received another one with the subject "LinkedIn Network Updates, 8/29/2011".

Solution?  There is none.  You can't turn them off since it's a "known issue".

Instead try these alternatives:
  • Report the email as spam if you can.  Eg. If you use Gmail, or Yahoo! click on the Spam button.
  • Email LinkedIn customer support to complain: cs@linkedin.com
  • Create an email filter to automatically send emails from LinkedIn into your Trash
  • Delete your LinkedIn account
Here's what I wrote to LinkedIn customer support on Aug 17, 2011:
I still get irregular "LinkedIn Network Updates" spam emails despite turning off all the email settings in my account.


I think it's just a ploy of LinkedIn's to get people to use it.

Here is the reply I received 3 days ago:
Hi Julian,


Thanks for contacting LinkedIn Customer Service. I truly apologize for the delay in my response.


Yes, in fact, you've encountered a known issue. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Our engineering team is working on it but there’s no estimate as to how long that might take. We’ll do our best to keep you posted.


In the meantime, I’ll gladly help if you have any other questions.


Regards,


Holly
LinkedIn Customer Service
Here's a SpamAssassin Rule I implemented:
header CMN_LINKEDIN_NU                  X-LinkedIn-Template =~ /network_update_digest_type/
describe CMN_LINKEDIN_NU                LinkedIn Network Updates
score CMN_LINKEDIN_NU                   10