Friday, May 27, 2011

My first App Mirrorless Lenses just launched on the App Store.

I received an email from a guy Ed Turner:
Julian,

I was just checking out your app in the App Store. Found it among the New Releases. Congrats, looks pretty good.

Happy with the amount of downloads so far?

I've worked with a few app developers over the last few months, and I've learned that there's two aspects that you need to focus on to be really successful promoting apps in the App Store. I'd be happy to share what I've learned if you're interested? Just let me know and I'll send you over a quick overview. (I'm not trying to sell you information, just don't want to bother you if you're not interested in what I have to share.)

Best of luck,
Ed Turner

Anyway, as you can see, Ed's technique is to check out the newly released Apps, look up the contact details for the developer(s) and send them one of these emails.

I looked him up and he has a site.  His service comes in 2 parts, to rewrite your App Description and to send out a press release to people.

It sounds like a pretty useful service that he provides from what I gather from his site.  Things such as SEO on the other hand is something I'd consider unethical and a waste of energy.

Getting an App out there teaches you a lot.  Just that initial impact of learning how the game works.

So this is the part of Ed's site that I thought was interesting about App Descriptions:
... paid Apps will trigger the buyer to read the description.  Would you spend money on an app just because it had a pretty icon, or would you read to find out if it had a specific feature you needed?

It was pretty insightful reading the sample descriptions on his site and thinking about future Apps I'll put out and also thinking back to Apps I've bought in the past.