Tuesday, January 30, 2007

PFOSSCON 2007

I had the pleasure of helping to organize this year's Pacific Free and Open Source Software Conference. I did the website which is based off of Wordpress. The registration system is implemented in Drupal and links back to HOSEF's web site. I also tried to get the word out to several groups.

HOSEF incidentally is a non-profit organization with the mission to spread Free Software through education by repurposing donated hardware. I like being involved with them because I've always believed in the concept of 'think globally, act locally'.

We were fortunate to have 3 really good speakers. Richard Stallman from the FSF, Dave Roberts from Vyatta and Barton George from Sun Microsystems (who were also nice enough to sponsor lunch).

We made the event $0 admission and it was really great to have a well attended event with students, business folk and the general public in attendance. BYUH did well and made an excursion of the event. More effort was put into trying to get University of Hawaii students and faculty to attend but there were fewer of them than BYUH. I must remember to try and get HPU students for next time.

In case you were not able to attend the event or would like a re-cap, audio for the conference is now online in Ogg Vorbis format.

I'm really looking forward to building upon this event for the future.

Here are some pictures as well that were mostly taken by myself without much care for composition. :P

Some links to other reports of the conference.