Saturday, March 11, 2006

Winning Zope 3 book, starting work in Hawaii and Linux rocks


This week I a copy of the Zope 3 Developer's Handbook
arrived in the mail. I won this from a competition put out by the people at Free Software Magazine. Ironically, it's also one of the few books that was on my Amazon.com wish list.

The first thing Ann noticed about the book was that the front cover had a picture of The Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet. It was amusing because we have a Maltese x Lhasa Apso dog.

In other news, I'm now working full time in Hawaii.

Everyone at my new work place is running either a Mac or Windows machine. The main problem or application dependency is that we run a specialized software package that is dependent on Filemaker Pro 5.0. We do a lot of Secure Shell stuff so the Windows users are mostly using PuTTY and TeraTerm. Yesterday I installed Cygwin on my pre-installed Windows machine but hopefully working with that and Windows won't last for long.

Today I installed Ubuntu 5.10 and I'm making the transition over to a more sanitary environment. Since I got my laptop late last year and started using Linux full time, I've reached the point where I can't go back to using Windows without feeling uneasy.
I checked out the Wine Application Database and Filemaker Pro may or may not work for me. If not, I'll probably run the application off Windows and log in on Linux via a Terminal Server Client.