Friday, February 24, 2006

Broken iPod 40GB 4th Generation with Sad Face demonstration, that angry Korean from Lost and learning to live again


We got this 40GB iPod in March 2005 for our 1st wedding anniversary. It died Feb 2006. We barely used it.

Unfortunately we misplaced the receipt as we moved housed and the "Genius" at the Apple store at Ala Moana shopping center told me it was out of warranty. You can use their online support page to look up your serial number and it spat back at me the estimated sold date as: October, 9th 2004

Even if it was bought then, NO CONSUMER ELECTRONICS PRODUCT SHOULD BREAK AFTER BARELY A YEAR! You can tell I'm angry, frustrated and very disappointed.

The "Genius" went on to say that you can send it in for "repair" for $250 where they may or may not replace it or give you a new one with a 90 day warranty.

When I was at the Genius bar or whatever they condescendingly call it, Jin from Lost was also seeking support. I didn't really see what his problem was but I overheard him say something like "I'll probably be back here to ask you about iTunes" and "Is there any Lost discount?" His face definitely does not look as chiseled as it does on television. I guess it must be the make up.

There was some teenage kid there who had a new iPod video and said that the battery only lasted 30 minutes so they were going to send it in for swapping... oh, I mean "testing". Boy did he love his iPod like it was his new born fledgeling. He brought it in inside the original box and it even had the plastic wrap around the thing.

... Back to my rant. Basically, you're looking at a $399 paper weight. How would you feel? Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. Apple sacrifices build quality for aesthetics. Wait until you need to get a new battery or your hard drives breaks and you'll know what I mean.

I pretty certain it's the hard disk drive since on the day it died, I could hear some grinding for a while when I turned it on. Then it came on and all songs and data were lost. I'm guessing it went into some "recovery" mode and formatted the hard disk drive. But then it just died with the sinister Apple smiley face.


About all I can do now is use the internet here to express my disgust and sell my burnt out shell of an iPod on eBay.

Last night I put my order in for a Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD Walkman Digital Music Player.

Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD Walkman Digital Music Player





"In the roar of an engine, he lost everything and became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past. A man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here in this blighted place that he learned to live again..."