Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Mercurial. It's a Distributed SCM that happens to be written in Python. I like it.

I've been playing around with Mercurial for the past 2 days and I'm very impressed. In my previous post, I explained that I was currently using Subversion for my personal source control management requirements. The main (and big) shortcoming is the lack of decentralisation.

A lot of focus has been put on the "next generation" of source control management tools since the development of the Linux kernel ceased to use BitKeeper because of changes in licensing.

Anyway, Mercurial is a project that has got me very interested. It does a lot of things right.

Instead of going through it all, here's a post which pretty much sums what I'd say anyway about Mercurial. Except, that I've also tried out Darcs and SVK. For Darcs I installed it and pulled down the Darcs main repository. Darn, it took a long time. The same thing with SVK. I tried to pull down a small Subversion repository and fuck it took so long the Subversion server cut me off.

It's still early days for Mecurial but it's actively developed so check it out some time. It works right now but you may like to wait for more software maturity.

In other Python news, Plone has release version 2.1 RC1.

Here's what's new:
  • Archetypes 1.3.4
  • ATContentTypes 1.0 as default content types
  • GroupUserFolder 3.3
  • CMF 1.5.2
  • Kupu visual editor
  • Local role blocking (PLIP16)
  • Right-to-left language support
  • 100% performance improvement over Plone 2.0.5
  • 1400+ Unit and regression tests
  • And much more
UPDATE: 20090329 - Updated link to Darcs